Townhead Medical Practice (The Yellow Practice) is situated in Townhead Health Centre at 16 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow, G31 2ES. The Practice is actually inside the Queen Elizabeth Building of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and has been situated here for 30 years.
The new NHS Interpreting Service is now available – click on the link to use the service to book your appointments with NHS services (including BSL Interpreting Services)
NHS Inform Scotland Symptom Checker – follow the online guide to the appropriate service given your symptoms.
Appointments and Online Access
- It is important that you do not attend the Practice in person if you have any symptoms of Covid – respiratory, fever or change in taste/smell. Please contact the Practice by telephone and staff will advise the appropriate course of action. Please visit NHS Inform for up to date information and guidance. IF YOU DO HAVE SYMPTOMS, PLEASE FOLLOW THE ISOLATION GUIDANCE AND ONLY CALL THE PRACTICE SHOULD YOUR SYMPTOMS WORSEN.
- Patients are still required to arrange appointments by calling the Practice on 0141 483 1740. There are a limited number of face to face appointments with a Doctor – this will be for specific conditions only. Staff will offer this type of appointment if it is available and you will be asked to wear a mask at all times whilst in the Practice as despite restrictions easing elsewhere we are still under social distancing & PPE rules within the NHS due to the number of vulnerable people being seen. If you are unable to wear a mask, we will inform the Clinician who your appointment is booked with and you may be asked to provide evidence of a negative lateral flow test within the last 48hrs. Please also note that there two waiting areas and dependant on numbers of other patients present for appointments and their symptoms you will be directed to the appropriate waiting area.
- We apologise for any inconvenience caused in trying to get through to the surgery but again due to limitations of numbers allowed in the surgery area at any one time we cannot allow people to attend unnecessarily – please note at peak periods all Reception staff are answering the phones as quickly and efficiently as possible and we appreciate your patience in trying to get through. Online appointment booking remains unavailable at this time due to the limitations we remain under.
- Clinics will be cancelled at short notice if the Clinician is off due to illness or isolation protocols – we aim to rearrange your appointment for that same day but it may not possible to do so, an alternative appointment might be the following day for example – this unfortunately cannot be avoided in the current circumstances and we ask for your understanding if it does occur.
- Call 0141 483 1760 to request your prescription – there is no need to call the main Practice number, this prescription only service is available 24/7 – your prescriptions will be available to collect after 48hrs (working hours) of requesting and if a pharmacy collection is involved this may mean a further 24hrs-48hrs before you receiving your medication (contact your local Pharmacy for further information).
- We now have a full time Community Links Worker (CLW) and Welfare Rights Worker based in our Practice. Appointments can be booked via Reception. They can offer help and advice of local help available should you have any concerns around such as debt management, loneliness/isolation, finance or benefits, mental health, form completion, activity groups, foodbanks or charities, asylum/refugee communities etc. Staff will advise if your issue is appropriate for the CLW service.
- We have a Zero Tolerance rule in place with regards to abusive/aggressive behaviour towards any member of the Practice Team. The level of abuse directed towards Reception Staff in particular has increased and is unacceptable. Patients will be removed from our Practice List and will need to register with another Doctor in the local area should they be abusive/aggressive or use foul language towards any member of the Practice Team, if you wish to complain about a service we offer then ask for the Reception Supervisor or Practice Manger to call you back – aiming your frustration or anger at Staff will not be tolerated.
- Please use the appropriate NHS service for your medical need – Right Care Right Place
If there are concerns about an elderly friend or family member at this time please contact Age UK
If you are a unpaid carer for a relative or friend please click on this link to get advice on getting PPE
PPE for unpaid Carers
You maybe asked to email in a picture of your condition e.g. a rash or lump/bump, to allow the Doctor or Nurse to see the symptoms. Please use our secure email address
[email protected] and in the subject line put your name (patients name) and which Doctor requested the image to be emailed. PLEASE NOTE IF YOU ARE REQUESTED TO SEND IMAGES YOU MUST DO SO BEFORE YOUR APPOINTED TIME OR THE CONSULTATION CANNOT TAKE PLACE.
Cervical Screening appointments are run by the NHS and not the Practice. Please contact one of our Practice Nurses for further advice or if you have any concerns regarding your cervical screening appointment.
Chronic Disease screening is gradually resuming with patients being invited to attend the Practice or given a telephone appointment. We will adapt how we run these clinics as IT equipment becomes available and ask for patients patience as we restart this recall of a large number of patients.
Pharmacy First is a new service provided by all Pharmacies in Scotland (replaces the Minor Ailments service) in which NHS patients can seek advice & treatment from a Pharmacist for a variety of ailments instead of attending a GP or Nurse. Please see for more information and please note you may directed to this service by our staff when requesting an appointment.
There are 8 doctors and a full practice team. We are open from Monday to Friday, 8.30 a.m. until 6.00 p.m. (closing 12.30 p.m.-1.30 p.m for other than emergency telephone calls). We are closed on the normal 10 annual public holiday days.
The Doctors at Townhead Health Centre
Dr. Jane Dely, MBChB, BSc, MRCGP, DRCOG, DCH, DFRSH
Dr. Moira Fallon, MBChB, DRCOG, MRCGP
Dr. Riaz Hafiz, MBBS, MRCGP
Dr. Ling Zhang, MRCGP, DRCOG, DCH, MBChB, BSc MedSci
Dr. Joanna Swann, MBChB, MRCGP
Dr. Keira Ranat, MRCGP, MBChB, DRCOG
Dr. Aasim Farooq, MBChB
The practice offers a wide range of services which are all available by appointment, including musculoskeletal assessment and advice from our very own Advanced Physiotherapy Practitioner. The reception team will be happy to give details.
At the entrance to the Health Centre there is a Community Reception Desk.
Community services which work closely alongside the Practice include District Nurse and Health Visiting, Treatment Room and Podiatry.
How to Register at Townhead Health Centre
To register please follow the instructions in the registering with the practice page.
Change of Address
It is very important that we hold a correct address and telephone number for you. If either of these change please notify us either by completing a form at the surgery reception desk, advising by telephone on 0141 483 1740 or log in and access the patient area to change your address.
There are disabled parking bays for Townhead Health Centre (managed by the Hospital) accessed from Wishart Street situated alongside the hospital out-patient department and Health Centre Lift.
There is some roadside parking around the hospital site including Wishart Street which is metered. There is a large multi-storey car park where charges apply.